Wednesday, September 2, 2009

"You bring the Röstis, I'll bring the Toasties"

I have a whole lot of Europe blogging to catch up on, but, important things first: the Rösti. Before our trip, Billie showed me a picture of one, and both me and my bottomless pit of a stomach knew that eating one had to be one of our (ahem,main) goals on the trip. The Rösti is considered to be the national dish of Switzerland, as potatoes are the country's main crop.

Here is a photo of the one I had in Bern, Switzerland. I ordered one with cheese, and they weren't kidding about the cheese:


We only managed to eat one of these on the trip, and my inclination toward food fixations dictated that I must figure out how to make these as soon as we got back home. Lucky for me, Justin sent me a YouTube link that is a "how to" guide for making Röstis, sponsored by a Swiss news and information website. Here is the site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh0VQGhCdeM While I pronounce it "Roastie" as Americanly as possible, when the Swiss guy says it, it almost sounds like Salman Rushdie's last name.

While delicious, the Rösti was pretty simple to make. Some improvements for next time are to brown the potatoes a little longer, use a smaller frying pan, and to add salt during the process instead of after. Otherwise, these guys kept Meghan and me full for most of the day, but based on the amount of butter used, this may be a "once in a while" kind of breakfast.




For more Rösti food porn: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%B6sti

No comments: