I feel like I should have more to say about what I did on (in?) Cape Cod this weekend, but it was really just a lot of long overdue, much needed relaxation. We went to Provincetown on Saturday and climbed the appropriately phallic Providence Tower or Pilgrim Tower or whatever it is called. I got a nice souvenir sticker saying I huffed and puffed my congested self all the way to the top.
The beaches were cold and empty, the Cape Cod potato chips were sparse and delicious, and the free cranberry Nantucket Nectars were sugary and satisfying.
I also finally had time to make some headway on the book I'm reading... "Fortress of Solitude" by Jonathan Lethem. This book has kind of peeved me from the start, but I hate quitting books, even when they're showing traces of suckage. Lethem's book is just interesting enough to keep me reading, but he has way too many themes going on (graffiti, Brooklyn geography, racial tension, art, film, coming of age, etc). I feel like he's mostly just showing off his knowledge of Brooklyn. "Look at me, I know where the Gowanus housing projects are!!" Although a few of my friends disagree about Paul Auster, he's still my favorite Brooklyn author so far. Oh yea and, despite my book quitting policy, I did quit reading "A Tale of Two Cities" about 10 pages in. Sorry Dickens fans. He was paid by the word anyway. Jerk.
Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I have to agree about the virtues about not quitting books and about Dickens. I quit a Tale of Two Cities in sixth grade and never looked back.
Post a Comment