Monday, February 2, 2009

Ice Kate

I was feeling too lethargic at work today to write this post, but I do want to write it before my irritation dwindles.

My boyfriend and I have tried 2 ice skating rinks in the last 2 months, Bryant Park Pond, and the other night, Wollman's rink. Excuse me, Trump's Wollman rink. Let's compare...

Bryant Park Pond had a long wait. This was probably because it's free. We waited on line for an hour, but it snowed the entire time, which was a nice touch. There is no entry fee, skate rentals are $12, and you can buy a lock to store your stuff in a decent-sized locker for $9. Mind you, you can bring your own lock, which brings the price of this adventure down to $12 if you're good at planning ahead. Plain and simple. It was a little crowded but fun overall. Even the 3 or 4 people who tried to take me down with them while falling didn't conquer my spirits. The staff were friendly, even when escorting the masses off the ice to clean the ice with a zamboni (I just learned this word). Totally worth the hour wait. $12 for a Friday night is OK with me. Here's a photo:

Now...Wollman's. No line!!! Awesome. The prices, not so great. $14 entry fee, $6 skates, $10 locker/lock fee with $6 of that being a deposit. The locker was so tiny, we had to get two. 10 more dollars. No wonder there was no line. We sucked it up though, and went anyway...we were already there. The staff was extremely unfriendly, they didn't even look up while taking our hard earned cash and just shuffled us past. How picturesque though, so I took out my camera. Faster than I could look up, two workers surrounded me and told me to put it away. Another one came and yelled at me While I was putting it away. Later, I decided to stick it to the man and take a picture anyway (no flash!) and they still caught me and threatened to kick me out if I took it out of my pocket one more time. Angrily. Some guy nearby even got on his knee and proposed to his girlfriend, and someone got in trouble for taking their picture. Jerks.

Bottom line is, next winter, choose Bryant Park Pond. Don't support Trump. He sucks and so does his precious Wollman rink. Sorry I can't be more eloquent than that. Here's my 1 illegal photo, and then a summary of our visit:

No comments: