After stepping on my glasses on Sunday night (I got them fixed, yay!) I dropped my phone on Manhattan Avenue while running for the bus last night. I had just left the gym and then the toy store where I was buying some Thomas trains for the little guy I babysit for. As I was getting off the bus, I realized I had dropped my phone, but when I went back, it was gone. To make a long story short, my friend Mikey was online when I got home, and he called the phone, someone picked up, and I went back to the toy store to pick it up. It had gotten picked up off the street, brought to the Verizon store, and somehow miraculously made it back to the toy store (where they knew I was looking for it), all within 30 minutes. They had even called my mom.
I've clearly been pretty careless with my belongings, but I've also been very lucky since I moved to Greenpoint. Within a week of moving to this lovely, sometimes urine soaked town, I drunkenly fell on a sidewalk and dropped my wallet. This was at 4:30 in the morning, during the glorious days of employment when the other Kate and I first moved here. About 30 minutes later, 2 cops knocked on our apartment door while we were eating hotdogs. How they got into our locked building, I have no idea. But how they found me was even better. Someone brought the wallet to the police station. The cops then found a business card for the apartment broker in my wallet, called him, and he told them where I lived. At 5am. Nothing missing in the wallet, no cash taken.
A few weeks later someone literally chased me down Manhattan Avenue calling "Kathryn! Kathryn!" I don't typically respond to my full name, because I've only been called this when I was growing up and getting in trouble by my mom. I had left my ATM card in the machine.
Some time after that incident, I left my digital camera at the Mark Bar, a fairly shady (but great!) local hangout down the road from my current place. The next day, the camera had been returned to the bartender, and to my surprise there were no obscene photos taken down anyone's pants.
I'm going to try to be more careful, but sometimes we all run and drop stuff, sometimes we are all forgetful, and sometimes we all get drunk and leave our precious belongings in shady bars. Thank you, Greenpoint.
And thanks to Mikey for negotiating my phone pick up.
Tuesday, March 31, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment