Monday, April 6, 2009

Mostly eating and drinking in Brooklyn

Another Brooklyn filled kind of weekend.

I went with Kate and Meghan (I give up on trying to hide proper names, sorry) to Dandelion Wine in Greenpoint on Friday. They have a free wine tasting on Friday evenings from 6-9pm, complete with delicious cheeses and an also delicious but unidentifiable pate of sorts. While our empty pockets appreciated the free-ness of the wine, the pours were incredibly skimpy. The guy running the tastings (not to be confused with the friendly owners) couldn't really be bothered with the likes of us, so there was a bit of awkward standing around with sad, empty glasses. I'd go again, but probably more for the cheese than the drops of wine.

After leaving, we went over to the new Brouwerji Lane beer distributor on Greenpoint Avenue. They had $2 8oz pour tastings to sample their offerings. I am not a beer tasting connoisseur, but I can say that they were good. They have a lot of delicious brown ales in their inventory, which I'm excited about, including Abita Turbodog and Captain Lawrence Brown Bird. Ithaca beer did have a spot in their fridges, but only the Apricot Wheat. Obviously I like the Ithaca Nut Brown best, so hopefully they will add that one day. The guys at Brouwerji mentioned that this sampling was a trial sampling, but I'd be glad to go again if they keep it going.

Sunday, Meghan and I checked out the Brooklyn Standard on Nassau Avenue. It wasn't as big as I had expected because of all the hype about it, but my expectations were vindicated by the avocado sandwich with mango spread. Delicious. McGoldrick Park is a good place to eat said sandwiches on sunny days, though this proved to be a bit messy because of the wind. Other highlights include: homemade pickles, hummus, random fresh vegetables, and some soy sauce subsitite that is supposedly a lot healthier.

On to something that didn't involve eating or drinking... the Artists and Fleas market on North 6th in Williamsburg was a hit as usual. We ran into a fellow Ithacan who sells her hand sewed monsters at the flea market each week: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5288809

Dandelion Wine
153 Franklin Street
Brooklyn, NY 11222
http://www.dandelionwinenyc.com/

Brouwerji Lane
78 Greenpoint Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11222
http://brouwerijlane.wordpress.com/

The Brooklyn Standard
188 Nassau Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11222
http://brooklynstandard.blogspot.com/

Artists and Fleas
129 N.6th Street
Brooklyn, NY 11211
http://www.artistsandfleas.com/

No comments: