I had a really awesome Brooklyn kind of day on Saturday. On the way to go to the Brooklyn Museum for the first time, we stopped at the Brooklyn Botanical Gardens, not because we hadn't been there before or even really wanted to go, but because it's free before 12pm on Saturdays! And it was 11:45am, so who wouldn't want to stick it to the man (I guess) by going anyway?
In one of the greenhouses, I learned that the word Bonsai, as in Bonsai trees, is actually pronounced "Bone-sigh." Who knew? I've been saying Bon-zi my whole life. Knowledge!
Then, the Brooklyn Museum. A good time. I saw the installation "The Dinner Party" by Judy Chicago. Lots of representational vaginas. Then on to the Hernan Bas special exhibit. Interesting, but not my favorite. I'm not sure how to explain that, so go see for yourself.
After a long day of walking, we ended up at the Brooklyn Library to finish the Brooklyn trilogy of events. I picked up a ridiculously tattered copy of Paul Auster's "Moon Palace," which I was reading in August when I left it on a plane in Minnesota en route home from Alaska. I finally got to finish the last 50 pages of the book while sitting next to the boy who is from the Twin Cities where I left my copy. All while sitting under a large photo of Jonathan Lethem peering down on me. Probably judging me for not liking his book. Coincidences.
Tuesday, March 3, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment