Thursday, April 9, 2009

Falaflog

This past weekend I found out that Justin has a falafel blog, and I have to admit I was a little jealous because I'm on a huge falafel kick right now. The best I've had so far is at this place called Azuri Cafe. Apparently the guy who owns and runs the place was the inspiration for Seinfeld's Soup Nazi. As I was waiting for Meghan outside the place, I heard a girl on her way out say, "well at least he didn't yell at me this time." So, I was nervous... but Meghan had been there before and knew how to order inoffensively. I was kind of afraid to take a picture, so it came out a little blurry:
This pita was jam packed with flavor and even came with pickles on the side. It had hummus, broccoli, tahini, and other unrecognizable but delicious ingredients. We had the Spinach Burackas appetizer, which was also a hit. I had heard about the place from the NYC Food Guy blog, he does a better job at giving this place its due: http://nycfoodguy.com/2009/02/05/nyc-best-falafel-azuri-cafe-beats-taim-as-nycs-best-falafel/

Soup Nazi side note: Back in high school, I met the actor who played the soup nazi on Seinfeld. There was a soup drive at the sketchy local mall, and a can of soup landed you with a signed photograph of the guy. Mine reads "Katie, no soup for you!" Signed, whatever his name was. I still have it in a shoebox somewhere.

Almost forgot:

Azuri Cafe:
465 West 51st
New York, NY 10019
212-262-2920

No comments: