This weekend, KG created a lovely spin on Bittman's recipe for spaghetti with broccoli rabe, toasted garlic, and bread crumbs. Here's the article with the link to the original recipe:
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/15/dining/15mini.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=broccoli%20rabe&st=cse
Kate used penne instead of spaghetti, buffalo parmesan instead of regular (found at the Garden, for all of you Greenpointing cookers), and I slivered the garlic the wrong way, but I think Bittman would have still been proud.
The fixin's, plus Ritz crackers and wine:
Toasting garlic:
Sauteeing the broccoli rabe:
Adding the pasta:
Pre-stuffing my face:
Some tips and observations: I find a lot of Bittman's recipes kind of plain or boring, but this one really hit the nail on the head by incorporating the toasted bread crumbs, so don't leave them out. The buffalo parmesan was a delicious touch, and this was a really good dish for anyone trying to carbo-load the night before a race. And from the chef comes the advice to be careful while putting the wet broccoli rabe into the pan with hot oil. Kate G says "I believe the recipe says exactly that and I did it anyway." Ouch. So please try not to sautee yourself, it's not Kosher.
1 comment:
my search to figure out why it's called both broccoli rabe and broccoli rape, I found a dish called rape fritte. Yep. Fried Rape. Yummm....
I still have no clue why it has so many names.
Post a Comment