Thursday, January 8, 2009

Cooking with wine in 2009

There was a short article in the New York Times yesterday referencing a British poll that concluded that our spending habits (poor or otherwise) come from our mothers. How about eating habits? I can't believe that I went 25 years without ever trying brussel sprouts simply because my mom hated them. My dad loves them, but he can only successfully cook spaghetti and stir fry, and we all know who the boss in my family is. I could go on a psychological rant about my mom being withholding, but I know I'll probably want my kids to be unaware that mayonnaise exists.

Most of you (all 2 of you who might check this blog) know that I have wacky food obsessions and abnormal cravings. I've said this before, but If I ever get pregnant, I'm going to be the fattest person ever. Obviously, this week the food obsession is brussel sprouts.

Here's the recipe I used: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Roasted-Brussels-Sprouts/Detail.aspx If it's been a while since you last had them, give it a whirl. Mark Bittman suggests adding some garlic in his recipe.

This isn't my attempt to turn this into a food blog. I can't compete with Meghan: http://cookingdrinkingswearing.blogspot.com/ , but I have cooked almost every day this week and I'm enjoying it.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Your oven-charred brussel sprouts are like little balls of heavenly goodness.

Meghan said...

Dude, Lindsay's brussel sprouts are the best! But when I tried to copy her I burned them. Whoops.