I've been eyeing this book that's been sitting near the communal copier at work for some time now. It's called "Voting," and I figured that, being one of our books, it was probably a pretty basic overview of the history of voting. It is. It also turns out, it's not one of our books, but one published by Rosen Publishing, so I'm not sure why we have it. Anyway, it's taken me 3 weeks to swipe this book, because of the creepy McCreep who sits in the adjacent office, who stares at everyone when they walk by. Creepily. Today was the day.
Skimming through this book, I'm regretting how uninterested in history I was when I was in school. My knowledge of history is blotchy at best, but I'm going to try to make up for that now. My first impulse was to memorize the presidents, so I printed out a list of the US Presidents from Wikipedia. Imagine my surprise when I found out that the first President of the United States was actually John Quincy Adams! I had accidentally tossed the first 5 Presidents into the trash. Sorry guys, it's not because I'm unpatriotic.
This is just a start, but I'm hoping that brushing up on my history will make me somewhat of a better person... or at least help me out with trivia.
Back to work...
Friday, January 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment